Thursday 20 May 2010

REFLECTIVE JOURNAL- Project Reflection 2


Module: Puffin Book Design Awards

 

This project required us to produce two book covers, one of which was for ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’ by Lewis Carroll. This immediately excited me as I am very in touch with the story and it was a big part of my childhood. I wanted to ensure that as well as being child-friendly, this book was graphically engaging and different to ordinary books found on the shelves. This book was very well received by tutors and colleagues as they thought it was a clever ‘play on words’ with the rabbit pulling Alice out of the mad hatters hat. I felt the colour of Alice’s dress was significant, as it showed her innocence, as were the playing card shapes, so I exentuated their shape whilst keeping the rest of the image a simple line drawing. I used a hand-written effect to produce the title of the book as I felt this was suitable for the target audience, whilst still being legible. This module was probably the best received one for me, as I decided on my idea early on enough for it not to be a stressful rush to the finish line. It was also useful to have the other book to concentrate n because this meant I could allow myself some time off from thinking about one book in otder to come back to it with a fresh head. I got my book professionally bound which I would suggest doing as it makes a beautiful portfolio piece and shows off the true beauty of the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment