Thursday 20 May 2010

REFLECTIVE JOURNAL- Self Evaluation

1. What have you enjoyed most about the course?

A)    I have enjoyed the interactivity between students and course tutors throughout the three years of being here. Regular tutorials and group discussions have enabled me to look differently at my work and take constructive criticism well.

B)    I have found the opportunity of working on ‘live’ and ‘competition briefs’ extremely useful, they have prepared me for life after university.

C)    Doing presentations at the end of each project has enabled me to become a lot more confident and believe in myself. It has also given me a chance to explain my work creatively.

2.           In what ways do you think you have developed or changed during the last year? Write about personal as well as professional issues pertinent to becoming a responsible, self-motivated student and becoming a creative and original designer.

A)    In the last year I have become a lot more self- motivated and responsible. I have learnt to manage my time better as I have been made aware that it is down to me to make sure I achieve the best results possible for myself.

B)    Linked with responsibility is my dissertation. I didn’t think I would enjoy it as much as I did. With the guidance of tutors, I produced a piece of work, which I am really proud of. I am very grateful for the fact that we were given the opportunity to write about something completely unrelated to graphic design as it gave me something else to focus on when I needed a break from creativity.

C)  I believe the way in which I design has changed over the last year, I have been taking inspiration from blogs and design books and magazines and have been trying to become a bit more digital with my work.

3.  What do you think your strengths are in relation to Graphic Communication and becoming a designer or working/training in a related area? Think about such things as creativity, appropriate working methods, skills and media, group and individual abilities, study skills etc.

A) I feel my main strengths within Graphic Communication are presenting pieces of work to clients. I am confident with speaking to people and have been given good feedback about it in the past.

B) I also enjoy working in groups, I am able to take orders from other people and feel I can take charge of a group without becoming too much of a leader, I will always speak out If I feel there is something wrong without causing more problems.

C) In relation to taking orders from people within a group, I am also good at taking orders from a brief, I feel I work better with briefs that have restrictions and rules rather than being free to do whatever as I feel that something I do may not be correct for the brief.

4. What has hampered your learning? This should include things that are to do with you and who you have been as much as about the course itself.

A) The lack of facilities available for use. On interview for the course I was doing a course in screen- printing and etching and asked if screen-printing in particular would be available for use in this course, I was told it would be. However, when I started here it was clear that this would not be as available as first anticipated.

B) I think if we had been allocated individual spaces in the studio it may have encouraged me to do more work, because everyone would have been displaying their work throughout each project and in turn, more people may attend university more often, enabling more ideas to be bounced off one another.

C) Although there have been workshops throughout the three years I have been in Cardiff, I feel that if we had more workshops in the first year, especially with programs such as ‘Flash’ and ‘Dreamweaver’ it may have encouraged me to learn more about these programs and use them in my work rather than just staying safe with print a lot of the time.

5.  If you work outside college (voluntary or paid), What skills do you think you have gained or developed through doing this?

Name of organisation/workplace:             Lindley Catering            Skills gained or developed:

A) I have developed a number of skills working in the catering industry, the main ones being responsible and trustworthy. I am often left in charge of cashing up, and generally handling money. I also have to be responsible for keeping the place clean and tidy and adhering to the customers needs.

B) My self-confidence has also developed since working for the catering company. An integral part of serving customers, working as a waitress and barmaid is to be polite and make the customers feel at ease so over time I have built up the courage to start conversations with strangers and not worry about it too much.

C) Working as part of a team is a key part of being involved in catering, this is very similar of working in a graphic design company. The two of these professions have encouraged me to act as an equal member of a team.

6.  What plans do you have after you finish the course to continue your development as a designer or related profession and make further progress in your field?

A) I have always been interested in advertising and packaging and am looking into going into doing something to do with television. I feel the ‘communication’ part of the course has rubbed off on me especially and although I am not sure whether I want to be a ‘designer’ as such I feel doing Graphic Communication has given me a great number of values that I can take away with me.

B) I am looking into companies with a strong group work ethic as I feel this is where I excel.

C) My father is in the process of producing a new product and has asked me to help with the production of it so I may take some time to go to Australia and work on this project with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment